Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 268: September 24th – Goose Pond


Sunny, NW breeze, and cool (63)

       It’s feeling more and more like fall as the days are growing shorter and the temperatures are slowly falling.  Nights can see cool temps of 45 and lower and even the days are consistently in the mid-60s to low 70s.  After a brief 9 hole round this morning, I took the short drive over to Kenridge Farm and decided to simply concentrate on the area around the first body of water known as Goose Pond.

  

     We are getting into some good warbler movement now that the season has changed and today I was quite happy to be greeted by a female Common yellowthroat under the large tree at the corner of the pond.

       I photographed the bird as it hopped from branch to branch in the brush below the tree.  In following the bird, I happened to see another bird come into my field of view.  From the tail bobbing, I surmised that it was a Palm warbler. 

       

       
       As I shot this bird, a third, also bobbing its tail appeared.  This was no warbler, however, and when I finally got it into my view finder, I discovered that it was a Carolina wren. 


       Soon, there was more movement in the same bushes below the tree.  This was much plainer in coloration, however, but it too was bobbing the tail and fluttering its wings.  It had to be a Song sparrow, a young bird who felt the security of the deep cover of the brush.


       Finally, while all this was going on, I noticed another bird flying in off to the right.  A beautifully plumaged Green heron came in for a landing on a log that lies close to the shore of the pond.  It sat quietly, watching the surface of the water for any movement indicative of a morsel-in-the-making.  As I photographed the bird, it suddenly shuttered and fluffed out its feathers, either drying or cooling itself and creating a “bad hair day” image for the camera.  No human would ever allow me to publish such an image of itself, but this poor bird has now one to speak up for it, and so it is included as today’s shot of the day.


       Finally, I stopped off at home and picked up Sharon to take a run up to Bear Mountain to see if there was any action.  With the northwest winds prevailing, there was next to no action until our friend Joe noticed movement in the ailanthus tree below us.  A pair of Black-throated green warblers appeared on the scene and with a bit of patience and a lot of help from editing software, I was able to get a shot good enough for documentary purposes. 


       It’s great to see that slowly but surely, the changing of the seasons has brought about some new faces in the groups of birds that are showing up.  It won’t be all that long before the winter finches and their associates begin to show up  Always something new to look forward to.

No comments: