Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 261: September 17th – An owl and a harrier


A cool morning with lots of sun and a bit of a breeze

       The “Bash” in Sullivan County, more formally referred to as Bashakill Swamp near Wurtsboro, has long been known as a true hot spot for birds regardless of the time of year.  But in spring and fall, the area explodes with a variety of migrants unmatched in most other areas of the northeast.  We went out Route 84 heading west with the intention of adding to our migrant list for this fall. 

       We were not disappointed with good sightings of Magnolia warblers, Common yellowthroats, Rose-breasted grosbeaks, Red-eyed and Philadelphia vireos, Purple finches, and more.  The real treat for me, however, was capturing images of two of our most photographic species….the Great horned owl and the Northern harrier.

       First the owl.  Our good friend Scotty who lives in the area and probably knows the “Bash” as well or better than any other birder happened to be on location when we arrived.  He immediately pointed out the area in which he had sighted the owl earlier and then led us over to an even better vantage point.  While it was impossible to get the sun directly behind me as I most prefer, at this time of morning, I have about a 20 degree play either to the left or right and will still have acceptable lighting.  So I was able to move about until I had the owl in plain sight and fired away.  I tried to wait until the bird would open both eyes, but hey, this was daylight and the bird had probably just returned from a long night of hunting.  It was his naptime.  So, with one eye partially opened, he gave me the best shot I could get and I was more than happy to snap it.
 


       Next the harrier.  I’ve seen plenty of harriers in my travels, but they generally seem to be too far off or between me and the sun.  Not so today!  As we hiked back along the new trail provided at the area known as the “Deli-fields”, we were buzzed by a beautiful female harrier cruising just above the level of the grasses in search of breakfast.  We were so struck by the flight that I just watched, almost forgetting to aim and fire the Nikon.  Eventually, I did take advantage of the situation and got off several satisfactory shots. 


       And so, in spite of a great morning of watching the fall migrants at this fantastic birding mecca, the highlight of the day for me was capturing images of two of our most charismatic birds…..the Great horned and the Northern harrier.

PS - On the way out ot the refuge, we came across a young kestrel perched on a road sign next to a bridge on the causeway.  I had to shoot through the window, but still managed to record the bird's presence.  Nice end to a great day.


No comments: