Sunday, September 16, 2012

Day 260: September 16th – The Waterfront

Mallard drake

A mixture of sun and clouds, cooler, but calm

      Today was a bit of blitz birding.  My plan was to get out earlier this morning and get in a little birding and hopefully a few blog shots prior to heading over to my grandson’s double-header.  It’s always great to watch him develop as a player over the years and now that he is almost 15, his games are of a high quality and well worth watching.  Nonetheless, I failed to get out early enough, and so had to work at getting a few shots in the waning light of the day.  One place you can always count on for a few subject is the Newburgh waterfront.  I’m not saying you’ll get what we birders like to call “quality birds”, but there will be something to fill the frame.


      
 As I expected, it was mallards and pigeons that we had to view and to photograph.  In reality, the iridescent plumage of both of these birds makes them pretty nice to look at.  We become jaded by seeing these birds so often that they are too often tossed aside as “trash birds”.  Well, one man’s trash is another’s treasure, and as the only game in town, today they became my most valued subjects.

Great blue heron

       Eventually, to my surprise, I was also given one last subject to add to today’s entry…. a Great blue heron which decided to drop in to see what was transpiring along the waterfront.  After a brief stop, the bird took to the air, but not before I captured a few images of this grand bird.  I should learn never to write off a place because of what I usually see there.  You just never know.


No comments: