Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day 246: September 2nd – Vermont


Partly sunny, high 70s, light breeze

       Wandered about the grounds of our friends Vermont condo this morning in search of any warblers or others which might be moving through the area.  I caught sight of movement in the canopy of the trees across the street and quickly shot off a couple of images before I knew in fact what I was capturing.

       Once I enlarged the image and looked carefully, I determined that what I had was a Black-throated green warbler.  Later, I found the same warbler back behind the unit and had difficulty capturing another shot.  I did get great looks around dusk, however, which confirmed my earlier identification.


       Apparently, my view of the warbler was not the only individual to spot this bird.  As I watched this morning, a larger and more ominous view came into my space as a juvenile Cooper’s hawk soared over the area.  Suddenly, the warbler I was attempting to photograph was  no longer seen……smart bird!


       Later, the warbler reappeared, but as it displayed in the bright sunlight at the top of the pines behind Jon and Rose’s back deck, I failed to get inside and get the camera on the bird before he took flight.   Nonetheless, it is obvious that the warblers are moving through the area and will be heading down to New York as we speak.  We will follow the birds down to New York in the next couple of days.  But first, we will check out the grounds of Vermont tomorrow and see if we can find any other warblers moving through.

No comments: