Monday, November 26, 2012

Day 330: November 26th – Pleasant surprises


Mostly sunny, low 40s and a bit breezy

      There are “hot spots” for birders and then there are “cool spots”.  Most of the time, as luck would have it, those “hot spots” seem to be miles away.  It often takes a day or even spending a weekend or more to get to those locations where you know you will get “good” birds….those you don’t see everyday.

       The cool spots are very often the locations that are near you and while they will produce birds, they are often the same ole same ole birds…..House sparrows, Robins, Blue jays, Grackles, Crows, and so on.  But lately, I’m beginning to realize that if you look hard and often enough, well, you just never know.

      There is a little lake not too far from home called Roe Pond.  I’ve always considered it one of my “cool spots” for local birding.  I know what I’m going to find….Mallards, Canada geese, and more Mallards.  This past summer, however, I was fishing at the pond with two of my grandsons.  In the short amount of time we spent catching crab bait, we spotted a Great blue heron flying over and perching in a nearby tree and then found a Spotted sandpiper working the shoreline near our location.  Not too shabby for an area I don’t consider worth any extra effort to bird, even if it is 5 minutes from home. (Check the blog entry for August 16th, 2012)


       Today, we were tied up doing some volunteer work for our community group and had very little time to spend looking for birds.  It was getting late in the day and Sharon suggested that we stop by Roe Pond just to see if there was anything of interest.  I reluctantly agreed and we drove over to the park.  At first, there was nothing but the default Mallards and Canada geese.  As I glanced around with the naked eye, however, I noticed a much smaller bird swimming in amongst the geese and mallards.   My first thought was “grebe”, but I hesitated to make the call because the bird was distant and I had never, no never, seen a grebe on these waters before.  Sharon says, “Never say never” and once again was right on.  With close inspection, it was in fact a little Pied-billed grebe.  I worked my way around the pond until I was closer to the bird and as the mallards came swimming over to see if I had any handouts to offer, the grebe came in with them to give me several nice photo-ops. 


       And so, I guess that I just better spend a little more time checking on the “non-productive” body of water to see just what I’ve been missing.  Hey, you never know!  There might be some more pleasant surprises at Roe Pond in the future.


No comments: