Monday, December 24, 2012

Day 358: December 24th – Hudson Valley Eagles


Sunny, calm and 34 degrees

       It’s a clear crisp Christmas Eve day as I head over to the Peekskill area to see if there are any signs of the influx of eagles which will no doubt occur in the next few weeks.  We’ve had some chilly days in this past week and that is a good trend needed to bring our visitors from the north into the valley.

       Near the Annsville Paddle Center on the Hudson, I did not find any birds at all!  I was surprised because the early morning sun was brilliant and I figured there would be some warming effects which the little brown jobs would want to take advantage of.  Even the gulls and geese were absent.  Around the back side of the of the point on which the center lies, however, I did find a promising sign of possible things to come…..ice.  Not a lot, but the small bay I was standing along was covered with a thin coat and that’s what we need for the eagles to come in.  Once the bodies of water to our north our frozen over, the eagles must come down to this part of the river where boat traffic and the topography keep at least part of the river ice-free.  That means that the birds can get to the fish which is a major staple of their diets.

       We do have resident eagles in the valley as well, and it so happened that I knew of a place nearby where there had been an active eagles’ nest in the past.  Off I went and in short order I had found the nest.  To my great joy, there was the nest and there was a mature Bald eagle upon it.  As I watched and photographed the bird adjusting the twigs within the nest, a second bird flew in and took its place alongside the second bird. 

       This nest has been productive in the past and we can only hope that these two birds will have a successful year and produce more “resident” Hudson Valley Bald eagles.  What a nice early Christmas present!






No comments: