Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Day 352: December 18th – Breakfast at Bear Mt.


Overcast with fog, 42 degrees and calm

       An early morning at Bear Mountain State Park produced more than I had anticipated….not more species, but certainly more numbers.  I drove down to the play field between the Administration Building and the Inn and found droves of Canada geese, European starlings, Rock pigeons, and Ring-billed gulls feasting on whatever it was that attracted them to the field on the damp morning. 


       I counted 91 gulls (all Ring-bills of course!), 127 Canada geese, a dozen pigeons, and 70 European starlings for a grand total of 300 birds all having their breakfast together at Bear Mountain.  More birds were continually flying in as I counted, so this is a conservative estimate of the totals, but regardless, there were quite a few.


       In spite of the numbers, I searched and searched and could not locate any extraordinary gulls or geese.  I guess those are yet to come this year.

       I made one more check of the area of Iona Island where I found only two species active this morning.  A Belted kingfisher was having his breakfast in the marsh and I enjoyed watching him work pretty hard at his trade and generally coming up empty-handed (empty-billed?).  A Northern mockingbird had it a lot easier, as he perched in a tree and plucked the berries from the branches for his repast. 

       It was a bit early and chilly for the songbirds to be up and about.  Even the feeders at my home were pretty quiet.  The action will pick up there as the day wears on and the weather clears out and warms up.  I think those little ones are a lot more like many of us humans on cloudy dreary mornings like this!

No comments: