Friday, December 21, 2012

Day 355: December 21st – The Winter Solstice


Cloudy with occasional showers, temps dropping rapidly

       After a really windy rainy night, the skies cleared for an hour or so before turning cloudy, wet and chilly once again.  My hope on this first day of winter (which began at 6:12 this morning) was to revisit Rings Pond in Cornwall to see if the roosting vultures I found there last year were still hanging out there.  I had reliable reports that the vultures returned there each evening and my fear was that I was here too early in the afternoon (around 3:00 PM). 

        As I approached the pond, I did see several Black vultures soaring high over Cornwall but unfortunately for me, they had not returned for the evening. Plenty of gulls, mallards, and Canada geese, but not one vulture.

       We decided to head down to the Hudson at Cornwall Landing and then over to Kowawese Unique Area just north of the Landing.  With the rain and the wind, we did not have high hopes.  Good thing.  There was basically nothing on the water save for a few Ring-bills far out on the water and one lone Great black-backed gull sitting atop a piling.

Looking south down the Hudson Valley from Kowawese Unique Area, New Windsor
       Well, let’s try once again at Rings, it being a bit later and darker and all.  Even more gulls had arrived and we spent some time looking in vain for any white-wings and perhaps an aberrant goose. Alas, it was not to be.  And so, in summary, the shot of the day goes to a sad looking duck.  Mallards are notoriously promiscuous, and my guess is that this was the result of one mallard’s wild night out with perhaps a domestic duck of some sort.  If anybody has any idea as to the duck's id, please leave a comment regarding same. 


       I will take this opportunity to wish all you folks a wonderful winter of good health, peace, and plenty of wonderful birds.  

No comments: