Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 182: Long Pond Odonates


Sunny, hot and humid

       A good day to be in or near the water, and so we packed the cooler and drove over to our nearby swimming hole, Long Pond. 

       Today’s blog will be short on verbiage and include some shots of some beautiful creatures of which I simply don’t know enough about.  The Odonates, the dragonflies and damselflies, are so abundant at this time of year that I am truly remiss in now knowing 1 % of what I should know as an amateur naturalist living in New York.  And so, as soon as I finish writing this blog entry, I will get on-line and order by first field guide to the odonates of North America.  In the meantime, let me share some of the images of these beautiful insects that I captured today while at the pond.  If anyone out there reading my blog can help in the identification, drop me a line or post same on the Comments section so that I can update the captions ASAP.  Otherwise, you’ll just have to wait for my field guide to be delivered at which time I’ll come back and edit this page.  Thanks for you patience!

Emerald dragonfly (?)
Dragonfly 1
Damselfly 1

Dragonfly 2

Dragonfly 3










No comments: