Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 181: June 29th – In search of “Marsh Birds”


Sunny, 73 degrees and calm

       At 7:30 AM, the temperatures are pleasant and the sun is shining brightly.  The forecast, however, is for mid 90s and so it’s a good day to be out and about early in the morning. 

       I’m hoping for marsh birds this morning.    A couple of years ago, a marsh restoration project was undertaken at Iona Marsh in Harriman State Park, NY.  The invasive phragmites was chemically treated in the hopes that native vegetation would reclaim the area.  It was fairly successful, so far.  The hope is that some of the avian species associated with a healthy marsh will return to this wetland, and many of us are keeping tabs on what shows up and when.  And so, I’m looking for and hoping for Marsh wrens, perhaps and Sora, or a Virginia rail. 


       Yesterday, I recounted how my Grandson and I ventured out to see the Mississippi kites in Sterling Forest and had them in the scope within 5 minutes of our arrival.  Ah, if it were only that easy each time I went out with specific target birds in mind.

       Today, I got skunked with a capital S.  No wrens, no Sora, and no Virginia rail.  I tried calling each species in using the tape, but I got no response whatsoever.  It’s never a complete waste of time when you are in such an environment, however.  When I first arrived, for example, I was greeted by two Mute swans and a charming little cygnet.  The knob on the head of the adults will take about a year to appear as will the unfeathered area around the lores.  But for now, the pure white of the cygnet is quite attractive.

       Swallows were also an attraction with many birds primarily of three species….the most common being Northern rough-wings, along with Tree and Barn swallows.


       A few very attractive butterflies were also on hand, the prettiest being this Tiger swallowtail.

 
       Finally, one of my favorite summer wildflowers was present along the roadside, the chicory.  And so, in spite of there being none of my targets to view today, as is usually the case, if you look around, there is always plenty to hold your attention.  Mother Nature always has something for us to marvel at.


No comments: