Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 81: March 21 – Car wash merganser


Overcast and threatening, low 70s

       We’ll be heading out for a four day trip to Kissimmee to watch the Bay Hill Arnold Palmer Open golf tournament with several friends from back home.  We plan to leave at 10:30 A.M. and if I want to get the photo of the day and get my blog published, I have to get out early and stay close to home.  I decided upon the local Sugar Mill Ruins park here in New Smyrna and got a nice early start shortly after sunrise.  When I arrived, I found that there was road work being done at the entrance to the park and access was unfortunately denied. 

        I headed back towards the peninsula, and decided to get the car washed prior to heading out to the tourney.  As I vacuumed the interior of the vehicle, I heard some splashing behind me.  I found a small pond measuring no more than 10’ X 20’ just behind the vacuum machines and saw quite a commotion arising from water.  

       As I looked more closely through the surrounding reeds, I discovered that there was a female Red-breasted merganser bathing in the pool.  After the bath, she retired to the far edge of the water.  I wondered if she could possibly be nesting, but could not ascertain this for sure.



       Since I took the shots of the merg in less than ideal conditions, I decided I better make a quick stop at Indian River Lagoon Reserve and see if I could pick up an “insurance” shot.  The park was quiet until the very end of the trail where as I started to exit, a medium-sized dark bird flew across my path.  I found the bird which remained quiet perched at eye level, staring directly at me.  Yesterday, here in the Lagoon park, I had the other two mimics, the Brown thrasher and the Northern mockingbird.  I found it interesting to find all three of these songsters at the same location in back-to-back visits to this park. 


       Tomorrow, we’ll be in Kissimmee, a well known site for finding Swallow-tail kites.  We’ll be on the lookout and hope to have some images of this fantastic aerialist for you here on the blog.

No comments: