Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 127: May 6th – Oxford Ovenbird


Clear, calm, and mild (low 70s)

       We’re visiting friends in Oxford, Connecticut on this beautiful spring morning.  As we drove into the development last night, I took note of a little woodland park near the entrance which looked as if it could serve as a possible birding site for today.  And so, early this morning, I drove back down to the park grabbed my bins and by camera and took a little walk.

       The sylvan setting of this park was promising, but fairly quiet at first.  As I hiked deeper into the wooded area, however, I heard the strong vibrant song of the Ovenbird.  The teacher-teacher-teacher-teacher notes of this little warbler’s song tend to begin with moderation, but then crescendo as the call continues.  While easy to hear and to identify, this warbler can be difficult to spot.  Often, he will sit on the forest floor and blend in with the leaf litter.   I tried to pinpoint the calling bird and got the impression that the Ovenbird was not on the ground this time, however, and tried to pick him out in the spring foliage.

        Luckily my gaze finally landed upon the bird and I quickly raised my camera to grab a shot.  The data which appeared in the viewfinder indicated that the light was far too low for the settings that I had loaded into the camera when I left the car.  I changed the ISO speed up to 800 knowing I’d be losing some  clarity and sharpness, but if I didn’t bump up the speed, the shot may be too dark to save.  


       When all was said and done, the shot turned out to be good enough to document the presence of this bird if not exactly museum quality.  



       When you are trying to capture a different image each day, you are often relegated to taking what you can get and being happy with that.  Take it and run.....

1 comment:

JackieO said...

Wow! Great shots! Love the huge eyes, spectacular!