Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Day 235: August 22 – Green on Green


Sunny, High of 80, calm winds

       The last time I saw a Green heron on Greenwood Lake was August 12, 2011.  Today, just about a year later, a Green heron appeared on the dock leading out to our boat.  We had just returned from an outing with all 6 grandkids swimming and tubing and I knew I needed to find a Pix of the day.  It was already 4:00 PM, so I figured I might be hard pressed to find an suitable subject now.


       But as is usually the case, just when you don’t expect it, there’s the subject all willing and able to be the object of today’s blog.  He stayed on the dock in better than average lighting and walked carefully along in front of the boats looking for any morsel that might be in the shade of the wooden fingers of the dock.  A few shots later and off he went.  I wonder if the bird has been here all summer and simply eluded my eyes or has he just returned here en route to points south for the winter?  For whatever reason, it was really nice to see the bird here today and get an image or two for the blog.


       Following the photo session with the heron, I returned to our picnic table and the kids.  As we sat there recounting all the spectacular flips, jumps, and submergings of the days tubing experience on the lake, a Great egret flew in behind us and sat for a portrait.  A nice little encore from the water bird world on this beautiful day.  Hopefully this is a sign of what’s to come in the upcoming months here in SE New York.

No comments: