Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 229: August 16th – Roe Park


Sunny, mid 80s, low humidity, calm skies

       Yesterday’s storms brought us some beautiful weather today and so my grandchildren and I decided to take advantage of the clear skies and do a little fishing.  We were not exactly after big game fish, but we are all going crabbing tomorrow (see tomorrow’s blog for an account on how we make out) and we needed to catch some sunfish for bait. 

       Now Roe Park is not exactly known as a local wildlife refuge.  Mallards and Canada geese are about all you’ll ever see on this little urban pond regardless of the season.  That’s why we were all so excited to see what grandson Ryan said looked like a pterodactyl flying overhead.  Sure enough, a big ole Great blue came soaring in over our heads and perched in a high tree on the west side of the pond. 

       I grabbed my camera and headed over towards that side of the lake to get a better vantage point for some photos when all of a sudden an even more unlikely visitor appeared on the lakeshore.  Here, not more than 10 feet away from me was a pristine looking “unspotted” Spotted sandpiper.  When in non-breeding plumage, there are no spots on the birds breast and so he belies his name. 

       Two other prominent characteristics of this bird were quite obvious….his propensity to constantly bob up and down and the tell-tale white spike running up his shoulder. 


       Sharon has said it before and I’ll repeat it here…..never say never.  If anyone had asked me prior to today is you ever see Spotted sandpipers on Roe Pond, my answer would have been “Never!”.  Once again, I stand corrected.

]

No comments: