Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 339: December 5th- Windy days


Sunny, 52 degrees, and ====windy

Lemmon Road
       It’s a beautiful sunny day save for the breezes which are kicking up as I write these words.  The soft zephyr that introduced the morning is already gaining some momentum.  The forecast high for the day is 52 at at 10:00AM we are already there.  I scouted around Bear Mountain close to home this morning to see if anything was active prior to the real gusts developing.  I’ve generally found that windy days are not the best for birding and I believe it is because the ambient noise of the rustling leaves makes it difficult for the little guys to hear predators moving in.  So, they play it safe and stay hunkered down.  Maybe and maybe not, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

       As I walked down Lemmon Road on the flanks of Bear Mountain, still more evidence of the power of Superstorm Sandy can be seen throughout the forest.  This tree has to be over a hundred years of age, but was little challenge to the force of Sandy’s winds.  Blowdowns like this were seen all over the southeast.  In one section of these woods, acres of shallow-rooted pines was uprooted in several hours. 

      The birds bore out my feelings on birding on windy days and I was hard pressed to see or hear any signs of avian life along this stretch of dirt road.  The sole representative of the bird world was the cry of a lone Raven high over adjacent Donderberg Mountain.

       I figured I’d move down to lower ground where the effect of the winds might be mitigated.  Indeed, down at Iona Island, the winds did seem less.  But less is a relative term and the winds were still brisk enough to ruffle the feathers of this Mockingbird which came in to see what I was up to. 

       The north winds and the outgoing tides made the water level in the marsh lower than normal, and I hoped find birds taking advantage of the mud flats.  As was the case up on the mountain, however, things remained quiet in these windy conditions and I’ll just have to wait until the winds abate for the activity to pick up once again.  Until then......


No comments: