Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pelagics

Day 5 - February 26
At Sea - Off the coast of Barranquilla, Colombia

     Although we are far enough out to sea that land is not visible, we keep our eyes and binoculars trained in hopes of a pelagic or two. As we ate lunch, we noticed something fly by on the starboard side of the ship. I dropped my knife and fork and sped down to the 4th deck to get my camera, not quite sure of what it was I was hopefully going  to photograph. When I arrived on the top deck, no birds were seen, but walking around to the port side, I found a mature and several immature Masked boobies flying and diving just off the ships wake. The birds stayed with us for some time and the combination of their aerobatics and some strange guy with a camera frantically snapping away drew a pretty nice crowd of spectators to the rails. It was quite a sight to see these pelagics stoop and dive from our level on the 9th deck and plunge headlong into the boat’s wake in search of their quarry. Before long, the birds departed, but not before giving me a few nice opportunities to capture the images of this beautiful diver which for most of its life is far from land and far from this birder’s lens.

No comments: